Frequently Asked Questions
What is GasTips.com?
GasTips.com is a free service – setup to help you get the cheapest price for gas. By using this service, you have the ability to buy wisely when you "Fill 'er up".
The first GasTips site was launched in Vancouver, BC in July of 1999. Since that time we have expanded to across the entire USA and Canada.
How do I use this site?
There are many ways in which you can contribute to the success of this site.
- Become a "tipster". When you are out driving around town, take a note of the gas prices at your local stations. Enter these prices on the web site. Your tips will be displayed immediately, and will help you and your fellow community members find the best price for your next gas purchase.
- Use the site to find the best place to purchase gas. If you find the site useful, tell your friends.
- Become a GasTips Member! When you join GasTips, lots of additional features are available to you!
- Give us feedback! What do you like and not like about this service? Do you have any suggestions for us? Using your feedback - we are trying to make this site useful to you and the the rest of your community.
How to enter Gas Prices
Adding Favorite Stations
Did you just get notified about the wrong location?
What if people report incorrect prices?
This service allows tips to be posted, even if they are incorrect. We do our best to keep the information on the site as accurate as possible; however, if you see a price that looks too good to be true, it may be.
Tips can be reported by registered GasTips members, or "anonymously". Rely on tips from people who have developed a good reputation, and check out what others report in the same area before you decide how reliable a tip is.
Registered GasTips members can help remove inaccurately reported "anonymous" tips, and can dispute and correct inaccurately reported tips from other GasTips members. Use the down vote to help remove any bad tips. Any user who notices invalid data is invited to submit a new correct entry for the location. Any evidence of on-going abuse should be reported to us.
Why should I become a GasTips member?
You don't need to become a GasTips member to get value from using GasTips.com. You can remain "anonymous" if you choose. However, there are many wonderful features available to GasTips members, and it's easy to join!
Whether you submit tips to GasTips or not, becoming a GasTips member offers value.
You can create your own personalized communities, and define the gas stations you wish to display tips for. You can display tips in the order you select, and can "filter" tips by vendor, submitter type and tip age. You can sign up for price alert notifications - we will email you when prices start to rise in your region so you can dash to the pump! You can also sign up for GasTips notifications - we will send you email or text messages with GasTips prices that will interest you. You can "vote" against bogus tips, and submit "corrected" entries as well.
For the user who submits tips, there are many advantages to being a GasTips member. You can create a personal "nickname" which will appear next to the tips you submit. You can create your own customized tip entry form of gas stations. This makes the task of entering tips much quicker. You can also print out this list to take with you in your car - makes tip recording simple! And if you submit tips regularly, you may end up on our Top Tipster list!
How do I become a GasTips member?
- Click on "Join GasTips" on the top right hand corner of your screen.
- You will be asked to enter your email address, and to select a nickname. This nickname will appear next to any tips you submit.
- GasTips.com will email you a confirmation "password". Next time you "Login", use this password and you will be a registered GasTips member! You will see your chosen nickname displayed at the top right hand corner of the screen. The password you receive may be changed by you at any time.
- If you want to create an account even quicker, use the Facebook, Gmail or Yahoo icon, this creates your account in a secure method. It does not reveal your password to Facebook, Gmail or Yahoo.
How do I change my password, email address or nickname?
The first password you have will be the one sent to you from GasTips.com when you register. You may wish to change it to something more personal and memorable. You may also want to change your email address or nickname as well. In order to do this, make certain you "Login", and then press "My Profile" at the top right hand corner of your screen.
Under your alias you have the ability to edit your profile, change your password or change the email that is registered for your account in the system.
You will then have the opportunity to change these and other items.
Why are there no prices listed in my area?
All of our tips are user-submitted, so if no one in your area has been submitting gas prices, then nothing will appear. One of the best ways to fix this is to start submitting prices in your area. In our experience, before too long others will catch on and submit other prices for everyone's benefit.
Join GasTips today !to be entered in contests, and notified of the cheapest gas prices in your area.
What Is the Difference Between Regular and Premium Gas?
Be Safe at the Pump!
10 fuel saving tips every driver should know
Two-thirds of Americans favour building Keystone XL pipeline: poll
Detroit eyes freezing pensions amid probe as evidence of possible fraud come to light
New York Yankees faithful bid fond farewell to Mariano Rivera in final home appearance
Pickup trucks get Lone Star treatment at state fair
BlackBerry reports $965M loss as unsold phones pile up
B.C. recruits more doctors but pays them less than the national average
“It is a small price to pay for 50 smiles” Two Abbotsford women ‘pay it forward’